News‎ > ‎

Spirited Seniors Suffer Late Goal Blitz Setback

posted 21 May 2018, 14:59 by Kildangan PRO   [ updated 21 May 2018, 15:02 ]
On a dreary, overcast Monday evening at More O'Ferrall Park, Kildangan and Castledermot battled it out to ensure they were guaranteed a place in the quarter finals of the league. Fortunately for those who attended, the weather did not reflect the gameplay was about to come.

The home side started off well, winning the break and Ryan Moran scoring a point in the first minute. Castledermot replied about twenty second later to level proceedings. Kildangan captain Eric O'Hara dropped a free in on top of teammate Damien Broughall, who fisted the ball over the bar to give his side a slight advantage. Castledermot had a number of chances themselves, but fortunately for Kildangan at this side, put the ball wide on these occasions. Ryan Moran sent in a monster point from the left to put the Greens two in front. However, the Castledermot forward that scored the first point sent over another, and this was to be far from his last in the game at that, as he added another only a minute later. The Blues kept threatening from here, as their right half back pointed to give his side a one point advantage. The away side continued their form with another three points to lead 0-8 to 0-4 at half time.

The second half began with deja-vu for Kildangan, except this time, O'Hara scored within a minute. Robert McGrath then contributed a point, Kildangan now only two behind. On the thirty sixth minute, Ryan Moran put in some very hard running from the 21 and this was duly rewarded with a goal. The home side were now ahead, and continued to create chances, but unfortunately some ended wayward of the posts. It was ten minutes before the next score was kicked; a point from Castledermot's main scoring threat.

A goal-fest followed, with two coming in quick succession, but unfortunately, these went to the visitors. Moran pulled back a point, reducing the deficit to deficit, but Castledermot added another three, as well as two points, to calm any sort of Kildangan threat. Ryan Moran hit the back of the net for Kildangan to bring our total to thirteen points, before Castledermot followed up with the last score of the game with the scoreline 5-12 to Kildangan's 2-7.

The final score does not do the Kildangan performance justice, as a number of the players put in very good performance. A special mention must go to the youngest players on the panel who have just stepped up senior level; each fought for the Kildangan cause as if they had played for the team for years. The seniors are now through to a league quarter final against a team from Division 3B, which is comprised of North Kildare teams. Further updates on this will be posted here and on our social media when they become available.

Kildangan: John Miller; Conor Mulholland, Richard Morgan, Liam McCormack; Dermot Hickey, Kevin Christie, Phillip Ryan; Luke Barry, Damien Broughall; Eric O'Hara, Bryan Adams, Paul Connaughton, Robert McGrath, Ryan Moran, Shane Stafford.
Substitutions: Andrew Wilson (for Connaughton, 57 minutes)