News‎ > ‎

SFL Round 4 Kildangan V Sarsfields

posted 23 Apr 2012, 13:52 by Unknown user   [ updated 24 Apr 2012, 03:49 ]
  Kildangan Seniors paid dearly for a couple of first half defensve errors losing to Sarsfields 2:14 to 0:11 on Monday night 24th April. Having said that, lady luck was also in the Sarsfields camp as three goal chances for Kildangan came off the cross bar or upright to deny the home team a share of the points.
Kildangan started the more positive when midfielder Michael Morrison won the ball cleanly from the throw in, passing the ball off to Tom Deveraux, the resulting shot going narrowly wide. From the kick out Sarsfields came looking for scores and despite excellent tracking back by the Kildangan defence, eventually scored a point, adding a second minutes later.
Kildangans first score came on the 5 minute mark from the boot of Danny Quinn. From the kick out, Eric O'Hara was through for a second minor to level matters. Kildangan then went two up thanks to points from Stephen Quigley, one from a 45.
Sarsfields got a point back from the  resulting kick out to put themselves back in contention; Kildangan now leading by the minimum. Then all of Kildangans good work was undone when the kick out fell to Sarsfields, with just the Kildangan keeper to beat they made no mistake. Another long range Sarsfields point put them three ahead midway through the first half. Kildangan tightened up in defence, making some positional switches which seemed to steady the ship. However the Kildangan character was to be further tested when a defensive error resulted in a goal to the Sash totally against the run of play, as Kildangan had done very well in snuffing out the initial attack. Two further Sarsfields points put them further in front, a Michael Morrison point brought the half to a close and gave the Kildangan team a chance to regroup with Sarsfields leading 2:06 to 0:05.
Darkening skies signalled the start of the second half, and also a great display of long range point taking from Sarsfields who could do no wrong, everything seemed to go over the bar with Kildangan reduced to spectators. Kildangans sole effort in this period was a point through the boot of Brandon Foley. Brandon also linked up well with Stephen Quigley on the 18 minute mark, when Stephen scored a spectacular effort from out wide on the left. Kildangan were coming back into contention and had a chance to reduce the deficit further when a shot on  goal ricocheted off the cross bar, with the score 2:13 to 0:07. John Miller added an excellent point, followed by a Brendan Abbey white flag with minutes remaining. 
Sash added one more point long range point, Kildangan two more, one from Stephen Quigley followed by a Brandon Foley free. Kildangan goal chances came and went in the closing period, the woodwork conspiring on two occasions to deny the home team. With daylight fading fast, referee Tony Donnelly blew the final whistle on a game that Kildangan will fast want to forget.
The key difference between the teams, apart from the mistakes which led to the goals was that Sarsfields took more of their scoring chances, whereas Kildangan failed on a couple of occasions when goals or points were on offer. Next weeks game is away to Round Towers, if Kildangan can start converting more of their scoring opportunities then a positive result is on the cards.