News‎ > ‎

Seniors Struggle against Grange

posted 25 Apr 2016, 12:13 by Kildangan PRO
Despite a promising start from Kildangan, it was the home side who took full control of the game in Murphy Memorial Park on Sunday morning, winning 1-18 to 2-7 in round six of the league. Kildangan had come off the back of two defeats in a row, while Grange managed only three points away to Milltown in round five. 

Oran Bergin of Grangenolvin got the opening score of the game. Robert Hanley then converted his second free of the game to register Kildangan's first point. Shane Dunne put the home side in front once more, before Eric O'Hara took the chance to put Kildangan level. Grange's Nathan Doyle then went on a scoring spree, getting 1-2 in the space of three minutes, the home team now leading 1-4 to 0-2.

There were goals galore between the twelfth and fourteenth minutes as both Padraig Casey and Ryan Moran netted for Kildangan less than a minute after Doyle's effort for Grangenolvin. Shane Dunne and Mark Brennan edged Grangenolvin back in front with a point each, but a Hanley free set the game level. Doyle pushed Grange back in front, followed by Bergin scoring the last point of the half. With a 1-11 to 2-3 lead, Grange were not yet home and dry, and it appeared that Kildangan had a decent opporunity of winning if they could regain the momentum of the opening half.

Bergin converted a free about a minute into the second half, followed shortly by a point from Mark Brennan. Robert Hanley was awarded a free, bridging the gap to five points. The next two points were for Kildangan came courtesy of centre back Bryan Adams. Grange responded with three, from Daniel Mackey, Jason Lambe and Mark Brennan, with the latter also going on to get Grangenolvin's last score of the game. Substitute Wayne Dooley scored five minutes from time, giving his side an even further lead. 

The Kildangan team may feel this game has been a missed opportunity, particularly given the spirited display of the opening fifteen minutes. Nevertheless, we are straight into championship mode now, facing Ballykelly in the opening round on Sunday, 8th May in St. Conleth's Park.

Kildangan: Richard Morgan; Luke Barry, Colin Christie, Jordan Kaye; Dara Gilbert, Bryan Adams (0-2), David Christie; Padraig Casey (1-0), Damien Broughall; Robert Hanley (0-4 4F), Eric O'Hara (0-1), Dermot Hickey; Ryan Moran (1-0), Tom Moran, Declan McGrath.
Substitutes: Gabriel Murtagh (for Gilbert, 42 minutes), Andrew Wilson (for Christie, 57 minutes)

Grangenolvin: William Clynch; David Lambe, John Leahy, Conor McMahon; Ross Dooley, Padraig O'Brien, James Daly; Jason Lambe (0-1), Daniel Leigh; Tommy Nolan, Oran Bergin (0-3 2F), Daniel Mackey (0-2); Nathan Doyle (1-3), Mark Brennan (0-4), Shane Dunne (0-2).
Substitutes: Wayne Dooley (0-1)

By Andrew Wilson