News‎ > ‎

Seniors Secure Semi-Final Spot Despite Draw with Clogherinkoe

posted 28 Jul 2018, 14:28 by Kildangan PRO
The Kildangan senior team are through to the semi-final of the Reserve C Championship following last Tuesday's 1-11 to 1-11 draw with Clogherinkoe in Tom Lawler Park, Caragh; the home ground of Raheens GFC. Clogherinkoe had seen off Allenwood by 3-11 to 0-17 in the first round, while Kildangan put in a hugh effort to earn a 4-16 to 3-16 win over Ballymore Eustace, so both teams had big expectations going into this game.

Kildangan started off brightly with left corner-forward Ryan Moran scoring a point after two minutes, thanks to some great buildup play from Stephen Keogh in the half forward line. Moran was on the scoresheet again a minute later to add his team's second, before Kevin Christie won a Clogherinkoe kickout and sent over the third. The Cloghs had to wait six minutes before their opening score, and followed this up four minutes later to put a single point between the two sides. Ryan Moran was on song again, pointing twice to see the south Kildare village's lead return to three. Daniel Gilbert extended this to four midway during the first half

From the sideline, it seemed as if Clogherinkoe had scored a goal around the twenty minute mark, but Kildangan's Paul Connaughton cleared any danger. Nevertheless, Clogherinkoe's centre-forward sent over three to narrow the gap back to one, before his team's right corner forward hit the back of the net to put the Cloghs two in front. There was a chance to go three in front for the men in black and gold through a forty-five, but fortunately for Kildangan, this ended up wide, with the score at the end of the half 1-5 to 0-6 in favour of Clogherinkoe.

Eric O'Hara score two points within three minutes of the restart to level proceedings, but it was a goal through the hands of the Clogherinkoe 'keeper from Daniel Gilbert eight minutes in that gave Kildangan the edge, and Gilbert followed this up with a point to give a three point lead. However, from hereon in, it was all Clogherinkoe, with the north Kildare team scoring the next four points to go ahead by one. Gilbert and Moran got two more points which allowed Kildangan to sneak in front, but a well-taken point from distance on the right split the Kildangan uprights to ensure a draw.

The result of this game sees Kildangan finish second in the table and straight through to the semi-final of the competition. Rathangan are the other team that go directly into the semi-finals, having beaten Sallins and Allenwood respectively. The quarter-finals for the remaining teams in the championship are due to take place within the next two weeks, so manager Shane Stafford and the Kildangan selectors have time to prepare their side for what is ahead.

Kildangan: Daniel Cawley, Arron Behan, Bryan Adams, Jordan Kaye; Richard Morgan, Kevin Christie (0-1), Eoghan Ó Fearghaíl; Dara Gilbert, Damien Broughall; Eric O'Hara (0-2), Stephen Keogh, Paul Connaughton, Daniel Gilbert (1-3, 2f), Robert McGrath, Ryan Moran (0-5 2f).
Substitutes: Luke Barry (for Christie, HT), Dermot Hickey (for McGrath, 43 minutes), Stephen Quigley (for 48 minutes), Padraig Casey (for O'Hara, 58 minutes), Andrew Wilson, John Miller.

By Andrew Wilson