News‎ > ‎

Seniors Rock Robertstown in League Encounter

posted 6 Jun 2016, 15:57 by Kildangan PRO
Humid conditions made little impact on the intensity of the game between Kildangan and Robertstown in More O'Ferrall Park on Monday. A Robertstown goal in injury time led to a nervous finish for Kildangan, but a strong first half performance stood to home team with round ten of the league ending 3-11 to 3-9 in our favour.

Robertstown opened the scoring through a '45, thanks to Niall Kane. Stephen Quigley was on hand Kildangan to level the score for Kildangan. Danny Scully had a brilliant opportunity for a goal for Robertstown, but instead went for a point. Declan McGrath scored Kildangan's second, followed by Tom Moran three minutes later. The visitors edged in front with a goal from Joe Kavanagh, but Ryan Moran gave his team the advantage once again at the other end of the field with one of his own about a minute later.

Robertstown added a point through Aidan Dunne and looked threating around the middle of the field. Gabriel Murtagh managed to win back possession for Kildangan, leading to an Eric O'Hara point. Dunne then managed to get around Richard Morgan in the Kildangan goal for their second, before Richard Price and Joe Kavanagh added further two points only minutes later.

Stephen Quigley scored his second to narrow the visitor's lead, but it was a goal from Tom Moran that levelled proceedings. Robert Hanley got his first score of the game through a free, putting Kildangan one point in front. Midfielder Dara Gilbert got Kildangan's third goal, following a great save by the Robertstown goalkeeper, Brian Sexton, of a powerful shot from Stephen Quigley.

Ryan Moran opened the score in the second half. Kevin Christie, who was introduced for Declan McGrath at half time, took a chance from near the Robertstown 21, but it landed straight in Sexton's hands. It was another ten minutes before the second score of the half came, thanks to teammate Stephen Quigley. O'Hara pointed immediately afterwards, before Danny Scully got one back from Robertstown.

A Robert Hanley free and Dara Gilbert point gave Kildangan an eight point lead in the last twelve minutes. Kavanagh scored the final three points of the game, with Danny Scully helping to bridge the gap even further by scoring a goal in injury time, but it was too little, too late for the north Kildare team.

The Kildangan team can be proud of the performance put in during this game, and will likely be hoping to continue this sort of momentum in the upcoming championship games. We travel to Ballykelly for the final round of the league on Saturday. Throw-in is at 6.00pm.

Kildangan: Richard Morgan, Luke Barry, Darragh Kennedy, Jordan Kaye; Gabriel Murtagh, David Christie, Damien Broughall, Padraig Casey; Dara Gilbert (1-1), Stephen Quigley (0-3), Robert Hanley (0-2, 1F); Eric O'Hara (0-2); Declan McGrath (0-1), Tom Moran (1-1), Ryan Moran (1-1)
Substitutes: Kevin Christie (for McGrath, 1/2 time), John Miller (for Quigley, 55 minutes), Andrew Wilson.

Robertstown: Brian Sexton; Adrian Moran, Niall Kane (0-1), Adrian McNamee; Cole Lyons, Mark Byrne, Brian Dowling; Shane Ward, John O'Sullivan; James Carty, Ken Ennis, Richard Price (0-1); Danny Scully (1-2), Joe Kavanagh (1-4), Aidan Dunne (1-1).
Substitutes: Oisin O'Brien for Carty, Dave Percival for Sexton, Craig O'Sullivan for Lyons, Nathan Moran for Ennis.

By Andrew Wilson