News‎ > ‎

Seniors rocked by Rheban in League Opener

posted 21 Mar 2016, 16:13 by Kildangan PRO   [ updated 21 Mar 2016, 17:04 by rúnaí Cill Daingin ]
Kildangan's first venture into junior football did not end as they would have hoped, thanks to a strong performance from Rheban. More O'Ferrall Park played host an impressive crowd on what was a day that provided the perfect conditions for football.

Rheban opened the scoring with three points from play, courtesy of Brandon Shaw, Barry Foy and Chris Casey. A foul on Eric O'Hara led to Kildangan's first score; a free from Robert Hanley. Stephen Quigley followed Hanley's effort up immediately with a point to narrow the gap to a point. Nevertheless, the Kilberry side furthered their lead with two points from David Renehan and Stephen Lawlor. A point from Ryan Moran ensured that Kildangan weren't too far behind.

The game's proceedings got very tense for the home side when there was a scramble for at the Kildangan goalmouth in the eighteenth minute. Gabriel Murtagh was first to stop the threat of a Rheban goal on the line, before Kildangan goalkeeper Scott Broughan sent the ball out into safety.

Rheban scored the next three points via James Lawlor and Dean Carthy (2), before the final point of the half came from Hanley through a free. The half time score of 0-8 to 0-4 was certainly reflective of both sides in the first half; Rheban were the definitely the stronger of the two sides, but Kildangan could still easily come back.

Rheban won the break in the second half. James Lawlor and Brandon Shaw scoring points in the following five minutes to give themselves a six point advantage. Robert Hanley was on hand to convert yet another free after this, before Rheban added their eleventh score of the game thanks to David Renehan.

Hanley had two more frees, pointing one. The next points fell to Stephen Lawlor and Darren Byrne of the visitors, and Dean Carthy with a free, before Hanley once again converted (another) one of his own. Kildangan came close to getting a goal of their own, but Rheban managed to prevent the charge. The home side constantly kept pressure upon Rheban despite trailing by seven at this stage of the game.

Rheban had a comprehensive lead coming into injury time, but there was still more to come from the men in blue and white with a goal from Barry Foy and a point from Tom Fitzgerald, before referee Anthony Herbert blew his whistle.

Both sides were missing some key players through injury, but Kildangan in particular will be relishing the chance to redeem themselves against Suncroft on Sunday, while Rheban face Robertstown at home.

Kildangan: Scott Broughan; Gabriel Murtagh, Colin Christie, Richard Morgan; Dermot Hickey, David Christie, Bryan Adams; Kevin Christie, Dara Gilbert; John Miller, Stephen Quigley (0-1), Robert Hanley (0-5, 4F); Eric O'Hara, Tom Moran, Ryan Moran (0-1).
Substitutes: Declan McGrath (for Miller, 49 minutes), Patrick Kelly, Andrew Wilson.

Rheban: James Byrne; Kevin O'Shaughnessy, Evin Owens, Wayne Kelly; David Kelly, Darren Lawlor, Darren Byrne (0-1); Chris Casey (0-1), Stephen Lawlor (0-2); Brandon Shaw (0-2), David Renehan (0-2), Barry Foy (1-1); Dean Carthy (0-3), Eoin Foley, James Lawlor (0-2).
Substitutes: Tom Fitzgerald (0-1), Christopher Gorman, John Morrissey.

By Andrew Wilson