News‎ > ‎

Seniors Finish Season with Shield Final Defeat

posted 6 Sep 2016, 17:21 by Kildangan PRO   [ updated 7 Sep 2016, 02:15 by rúnaí Cill Daingin ]
The shield final between Kildangan and Cappagh in Sarsfields Park, Newbridge last Saturday proved that to win a game of football, you need to work your hardest for the full sixty minutes.

The first half was action packed, with four goals and seven points scored between the two sides. Shane Harris got a goal within forty seconds for Cappagh, but Kildangan responded with one of their own five minutes later from Ryan Moran to level proceedings. A Cappagh counter attacked allowed them to in front with Ronan Walsh point. Thomas Jackman was next on the scoresheet for the North Kildare side, before Stephen Quigley cut the deficit back to a point, but Shane Harris restored Cappagh's two-point lead once again.

Kildangan half forward Eric O'Hara began to make a big impact after the twenty minute mark. O'Hara sent his first effort wide, but made amends with a point shortly afterwards. His biggest contribution here was a superb '45 that rocketed into the top right corner of the Cappagh net, giving his team the lead. Eoin Leonard pointed three minutes from time to narrow the gap to two, but a point from Bryan Adams and a goal from Stephen Quigley put Kildangan well in front at the break.

Cappagh cames out with all guns blazing in the second half. The first minute was a carbon copy of that in the first half as Cappagh scored a goal, this time from Kevin Doran. Dean Brennan, who had stood out against Kildangan in previous encounters, made his mark on the game with two converted frees, showing that Cappagh weren't going down without a fight. Jackman also scored from a free, which led to Cappagh leading for the first time since the middle of the first half.

A Robert Hanley free set things level once again. This was to be the first of only two Kildangan scores in the second half. Brennan slotted over another free, but the real killer blow for Kildangan was a second goal from centre forward Shane Harris. As if that wasn't enough, substitute Tommy Grogan pointed two minutes before the end. Hanley scored another free, but an Alan Morrin scored gave the border club a hard fought 3-10 to 3-5 victory.

And so ends our season; our first in the Junior A ranks and Division 3 of the league. Overall, the season could be viewed as a success, as we held our own in most league games with a few notable wins along the way. Our championship season was cut short at the group stages as one win from four games was not enough to progress to the quarter final stages. The challenge now is to build on the experience gained from playing first team football so that the team and club continue to progress.

The senior team should be commended for the way in which they represented their club; the time and effort given by the complete panel, team management and selectors to preparations and training. Since last February, the team trained at least twice a week throughout the Summer and into the Autumn.

Unfortunately no silverware has been won at senior level this year, however the Kildangan team have done themselves, the club and the village proud.

It only remains to thank team trainers John Scanlon and Davy Anderson and physio Ger Whelan. Thanks also to Robert McGrath who did a great job with stats and to everyone who supported the team.

Kildangan: Colin Christie, Luke Barry, Darragh Kennedy, Gabriel Murtagh, Bryan Adams, Dermot Hickey, Kevin Christie, Padraig Casey, Damien Broughall, Eric O'Hara (1-1), Stephen Quigley (1-1), Robert Hanley (0-2 2F), John Miller, Tom Moran, Ryan Moran (1-0)
Substitutes: Declan McGrath (for K. Christie), Andrew Wilson

Cappagh: Paul Doran; Alan Duff, William Hopkins, Alvin Galligan; James Towell, Alan Morrin (0-1), William McDonnell; Edward Hopkins, Kevin Doran (1-0), Dean Brennan (0-3 3F), Shane Harris (2-1), Thomas Jackman (0-1), Chris Murray, Ronan Walsh (0-2), Eoin Leonard (0-1)
Substitutes: John O'Connor, Tommy Grogan (0-1)

By Andrew Wilson