News‎ > ‎

Seniors Exit Championship Following Caragh Defeat

posted 13 Aug 2016, 07:37 by Kildangan PRO   [ updated 13 Aug 2016, 13:52 by rúnaí Cill Daingin ]
It was do or die for both Caragh and Kildangan in Hawkfield on Thursday evening. Caragh had a dismal league campaign the signs were not looking good in the championship either. They were close to beating Milltown in a dogged affair in the last round, except Milltown scored 1-3 in injury time. It was all to play for for both sides in this game. Kildangan could settle for a draw, while Caragh had to win to progress to the quarter final.

Kevin Christie got the first score of the game. Caragh replied with two Jake Corrigan frees, followed by one from Paul Kennedy. Stephen Quigley chimed in with Kildangan's second ten minutes from the start, before Corrigan was awarded and converted his third free. Midfielder Austin Nevin sent the ball to the bottom right corner of the Kildangan next to extend the North Kildare side's lead.

Corrigan scored his first point from play in the twentieth minute. Robert Hanley scored his first and second frees not long afterwards to bring Kildangan to within three of the opposition. Hanley also hit a sweet ball off his left foot from play, supplied by Damien Broughall and Tom Moran. Nevin got his second just short of half time, before Kildangan half back Bryan Adam scored the final point of the half.

Stephen Quigley scored within ten seconds of the referee's whistle signalling the start of the second half. Corrigan's free-taking form continued as he gave Caragh a 1-9 to 0-7 lead. Hanley slotted over his third free. Pierre Fay made no mistaking in ensuring that Caragh would keep their five point lead, although Kildangan's big midfielder Damien Broughall brought it back to four within a minute. Stephen Quigley made it three in as many minutes, followed by another Broughall point, which meant that Kildangan were now within a two points of the team from Prosperous.

But the spectators hadn't seen the last of Corrigan, who scored his seventh free ten minutes from time. This was where any chances Kildangan had were beginning to slip away. Corrigan began to drop balls in front of the goal, which led to a scramble in the Kildangan box, eventually worked out by corner back Gabriel Murtagh. Wes Heavey pushed the lead out to four, but Quigley was quick to got it back to three, and this was to be Kildangan's last score of the game. Despite the fact that the referee played almost seven minutes of injury time, it was the eventual winners who made the most of it, with substitute Dominic Campbell scoring and young Corrigan sealing the 1-14 to 0-12 win with his eighth of the match.

Unfortunately this is the end of the Junior Championship road for Kildangan, but it is an admirable effort for a team that has just risen up from the Junior B grade, and they have proven what they can be capable of. The Greens also have the Division 3 shield final to play, so keep an eye on here for more details.  

Kildangan: Richard Morgan, Luke Barry, Darragh Kennedy, Gabriel Murtagh; Bryan Adams (0-1), David Christie, Kevin Christie (0-1); Padraig Casey, Damien Broughall (0-2); Robert Hanley (0-4 3F), Stephen Quigley (0-4), Dara Gilbert; Ryan Moran, Tom Moran, Eric O'Hara.
Substitutes: Declan McGrath, John Miller, Andrew Wilson.

Caragh: Kevin Gannon; Ronan Quine, Ivan Moran, Matty Kane; Pierre Fay (0-1), Eoghan Gorry, JP O'Rourke; Kevin O'Connor, Austin Nevin (1-2 1F); Dominic Campbell (0-1), Paul Kennedy (0-1), Cathrac de Bri; Jake Corrigan (0-8 7F), Mikey Behan, Wes Heavey (0-1).
Substitutes: Richard Whelan (for Quine, 44 minutes), Mark Egan (for Kane, 44 minutes)

By Andrew Wilson