News‎ > ‎

Semi-Final Stalemate for Seniors

posted 23 Jun 2015, 10:20 by Kildangan PRO   [ updated 23 Jun 2015, 13:57 by rúnaí Cill Daingin ]
 In a tense local derby 80 minutes of football could not separate Kildangan and Round Towers in the Division 4 South semi-final. The teams must now meet in a replay to determine who goes forward to meet Sarsfields in the final. The final score of 1-16 to 0-19 is indicative of the nature of the game, with some very well worked scores by both sides.

Played in brilliant sunshine in St. Brigid’s Park, Kildangan were quickly out of the blocks with a Stephen Quigley point from the throw in, but this was quickly cancelled by the Towers. Ryan Moran added a second, again cancelled by Towers. This pattern continued to the half time break, with the teams deadlocked on 6 points each.

Kildangan were again on the front foot on the games resumption, Stephen Quigley popping over a point from a Robert Hanley pass. Again Towers cancelled, before gaining a decisive advantage with a Colin Farrell goal on the five minute mark. Two more points by Towers left them five to the good, 1-09 to Kildangan’s 0-7.

Kildangan, to their credit kept their heads, scoring the next three points before the home side kicked over a free to leave the scoreline 1-10 to 10 points with thirteen minutes on the clock. Kildangan were unlucky in this period as a couple of goal chances were smothered by the Towers defence.

Kildangan continued to gnaw into the Towers lead, good running by Kildangan midfielder Dara Gilbert drew the Towers defence, leaving Gabriel Murtagh free to pop over a point. A Robert Hanley free then reduced the deficit to one with normal time almost up.

In the final play of normal time Kildangan won a free wide on the left and launched the ball into the edge of the square, panic ensued in the Round Towers defence and Ryan Moran kicked a beauty of a point to draw the game, 1-11 to Towers to Kildangan’s 0-14.

Extra time commenced and Stephen Quigley scored on the throw in; which Towers again countered. Towers then added a trio to go three up at the end of the first period of extra time, 1:15 to 0:15 as tired limbs started to give way.

It says something about the spirit the game was played in that the first time the referee reached for a card was during the second period of extra time, a black card to a Towers defender. Kildangan hadn't given up the ghost yet, Robert Hanley reducing the deficit to two with a point from a free. Hanley was also involved in the next move, winning the ball on the left and giving a slick pass to Stephen Quigley who left the minimum between the sides with a well taken point. Quigley then levelled the game with a beauty off his left foot.

The Kildare Town side then went one ahead, before the game reached its conclusion; Kildangan were awarded a free, 35 metres out and in a difficult position. Hanley again showed great composure to split the posts and level the game.

This was a game in which many of the younger Kildangan players came of age. Playing in their first senior semi-final against an experienced and well drilled Round Towers team their heads never dropped, even when their opponents went five up.

We are currently waiting for confirmation from the County Board on when the replay will be, so keep an eye on this website for more details.

Kildangan; Richard Morgan, Bryan Adams, Luke Barry, Jordan Kaye, Dermot Hickey, David Christie, Ruaidhri Jacob (1), Dara Gilbert, Padraig Casey, Robert Hanley (7, 5F), Gabriel Murtagh (1), Eric O Hara (2), Stephen Quigley (5), Thomas Moran, Ryan Moran (3).
Substitutes: Colin Christie, Willie Lawlor, Declan McGrath, John Miller, Andrew Wilson, James Stynes.
Substitutions: Lawlor for Jacob (1st Half ET)

By Michael Higgins