News‎ > ‎

Minors Top Division 4

posted 29 Mar 2015, 15:13 by rúnaí Cill Daingin   [ updated 29 Mar 2015, 15:15 ]

Abbey Rangers maintained their prime spot in Division 4 of the Minor league by overcoming Castlemitchell on a 2:08 to 1:04 scoreline in Castlemitchell on Sunday. The game was played in the teeth of a howling gale, which made any sort of fancy football practically impossible.


Starting into the wind, the Rangers team raced into an early lead with a Ryan Moran point. Castlemitchell replied with a point from the boot of Fionn McDonald, before going in front with a Dylan Brennan goal. However the next ten minutes marked something of a turning point in the game; the Abbey Rangers midfield worked the ball into corner forward Ryan Moran,  who scored a perfect goal.


From the subsequent kick out, the Rangers centre forward gathered, passed to the onrushing Moran, who, with only the keeper to beat, made no mistake. Further points from Eoin Whelan and a Robert Hanley free left the score at the break 2:04 to 1:03 in favour of Abbey Rangers, the Castlemitchell points scored by Billy Joe McDonald and Darren Moore.


With worsening weather conditions, the teams emerged from the dressing rooms for the second half. Castlemitchell now had a steep hill to climb, playing into the teeth of the  wind and driving rain. Castlemitchell needed a good start to claw back the deficit. However Rangers made the first move, winning the ball from the throw in. The resultant attempt for a score carried wide in the wind. Several more attempts by Abbey Rangers resulted in misses, as the swirling wind made scores hard to get. Castlemitchell, to their credit, were trying hard, but just couldn’t get the ball past the 45.


From  a Castlemitchell kick out the breakthrough came. Won by Abbey Rangers midfielder Darragh Gilbert, the ball was passed into the danger area, where Robert Hanley gathered, and placed it beyond the reach of the Castlemitchell keeper.


A further four points on the trot from Robert Hanley killed the game from a Castlemitchell perspective, 3:08 to 1:03. Castlemitchell added a goal and a point to their tally in the finishing minutes, the goal from Oisin Boylan well struck despite the close attentions of the Abbey Rangers backs.


Eoin Whelan finished the game with a goal for Abbey Rangers to leave the final score 2:08 to 1:04.


Well done to both teams for the sporting manner in which the game was played. The win leaves the team topping Division 4 with one back match against Milltown.


Abbey Rangers6600139637612
Castlemitchell GFC62046788-214
St Kevin's711584134-503
Newtown Gaels611469125-563