News‎ > ‎

Match Report: Strong Second Half Sees Kildangan Through to Final

posted 1 Sep 2015, 15:31 by Kildangan PRO   [ updated 3 Sep 2015, 16:44 ]
Kildangan are through to the final of the Reserve C Championship following an action packed 0-13 to 0-10 win over Naas in Hawkfield on the first of September. A brief shower before the game meant that pitch conditions were not ideal, but this didn't deter either team, with both battling until the bitter end.

Naas kicked off the scoring with two minutes gone, a point from Niall O'Grady. It took Kildangan six minutes to respond, but once they did, they were relentless. Eric O'Hara registered two points, while Stephen Quigley and Dara Gilbert scored one each.

Most of the chances from then on fell to Naas, who added three points of their own, two from Alan Carolan and one from O'Grady. With a bit more accuracy in front of the posts, the county town could have been much further in front. A Kildangan '45 was then converted by Dara Gilbert, before Carolan scored an injury time free for Naas to see the game level at 0-5 apiece.

Stephen Quigley of Kildangan opened the scoring in the second half. Robert Hanley had the chance to score, but the ball dropped short into the hands of the Naas 'keeper. A foul on substitute John Miller in the seventh minute led to a free from Eric O'Hara, which was tipped over the crossbar by Tom Moran. Two frees from Alan Carolan of Naas saw things on even terms once again.

A Padraig Casey point put Kildangan ahead once again, before Robert Hanley was once again on hand to score a free. Naas added a point to send their deficit back to one, but Hanley pushed Kildangan's lead back to three with a point from play and a free straight afterwards. Naas half forward, Kenneth Gralton, ensured that his team would fight on with a point, followed by another Naas point. Nevertheless, Stephen Quigley and Robert Hanley were on hand with the last two scores of the game to seal a three point win.

Despite pressure from Naas throughout the game, it was Kildangan's defensive approach in the second half that saw them over the line. The sheer grit and determination of the Kildangan players has guided them to their first championship final in ten years, where they meet Ballymore Eustace. Time, date and venue are yet to be advised.

Kildangan: Colin Christie; Richard Morgan, Luke Barry, Jordan Kaye; Bryan Adams, David Christie, Dermot Hickey; Dara Gilbert (0-2, 1 '45), Padraig Casey (0-1); Gabriel Murtagh, Stephen Quigley (0-3), Eric O'Hara (0-2); Robert Hanley (0-4, 3F), Tom Moran (0-1), Ryan Moran
Substitutes: Eoin Madigan, John Miller (for Morgan, 42 minutes), Declan McGrath (for D. Christie, 53 minutes), Andrew Wilson, Willie Lawlor.

Naas: Brian Larkin; Eoin Higgins, Aiden Slane, Ross McGuire; Sean Cunnie, Mike Commons, Ryan Doyle; Kenneth Kelly, Colm Reynolds; Cormac Wren, Kenneth Gralton (0-1), Ross Cleary; Jack Sheridan, Alan Carolan (0-5, 4F), Niall O'Grady (0-2)
Substitutes: Brian Loughran, John Cahill, Thomas Keightley, Eoin Byrne, Mickey Kenny, Matthew Drewitt (for Commons (Black Card), 13 minutes), Darragh O'Brien, Paudge Lynch, James Dunne, Rory McDermott

By Andrew Wilson
Thanks to our secretary Maureen Fitzgerald for the team sheets.