News‎ > ‎

Match Report: Kildangan Keep Kilcullen At Bay

posted 18 Aug 2015, 13:38 by Kildangan PRO   [ updated 19 Aug 2015, 14:58 ]
A strong performance from Kildangan across the field ensured that they progressed to the semi-final of the Senior C Championship against a Kilcullen side that never gave up.

A bright evening greeted these two sides as they took the trip to Nurney with a semi-final spot in their sights. Kildangan got straight into it with a point from Robert Hanley in the fourteenth second. An Eric O'Hara point sent Kildangan further in front. Playing directly into a strong setting sun didn’t seem to be affecting the Kildangan accuracy as Stephen Quigley added a third point with 5 minutes on the clock.

It was the seventh minute of the game before Kilcullen could respond with their first point, courtesy of Thomas Hennessy. Stephen Quigley, Kildangan's centre half forward, contributed a great goal, following a peach of a pass from corner forward Ryan Moran.

Thomas Hennessy won a free for Kilcullen, but was unable to convert. In contrast, Hanley continued his fine free-taking form with two points, as well as adding one from play, bringing his first half tally to four.

Kilcullen were gifted a goal chance midway through the half, however the Kildangan goalkeeper Colin Christie, showed great anticipation to intercept the ball and snuff out the threat. Kildangan’s Eric O'Hara made his presence known with a fantastic run through the middle of the field in the twenty-sixth minute, finishing off with a point. The break saw Kildangan's good form rewarded with a 1-8 to 0-1 lead.

Kildangan once again opened the scoring when the game resumed, with a point from Stephen Quigley. Kilcullen were awarded a free in the second minute, which Hennessy sent between the uprights. Hennessy was on the scoresheet again as he converted another Kilcullen free two minutes later. These scores helped to spur on Kilcullen, with Hennessy and substitute Dylan Kennedy scoring further points as Kilcullen enjoyed a purple patch.

Kildangan threatened the Kilcullen goal on a few occasions. Good goalkeeping from Paddy Meagher seemed to be doing the trick, until a dangerous ball found Gabriel Murtagh on the edge of the square, Murtagh showed no hesitation in punching  the ball past the helpless keeper. A subsequent Dermot Hickey point following a fantastic run from the half back position meant that Kildangan maintained their first half momentum, however Kilcullen were a changed side in the second half

Kilcullen's Dylan Kennedy scored a free with about six minutes to go, ensuring his team would keep fighting the Kildangan tide. Kildangan's Declan McGrath, who replaced midfielder Dara Gilbert only minutes earlier, worked hard to add his name to the scoresheet with a point. Another superb run from Kildangan's Eric O'Hara led to a Stephen Quigley point, before the ever reliable Hanley converted yet another free. Kilcullen got the closing score of the game , but it was to be Kildangan's day as they ran out 2-13 to 0-8 winners.

Kildangan's half back line of Dermot Hickey, David Christie and Bryan Adams made life very difficult for Kilcullen. Despite this, Kilcullen put in a spirited performance for the duration of the game. Unfortunately this result leaves finishes their 2015 championship season, Kildangan progress to the semi-finals, opponents, date and venue to be advised,

Kildangan: Colin Christie; Richard Morgan, Luke Barry, Jordan Kaye; Bryan Adams, David Christie, Dermot Hickey (0-1); Dara Gilbert, Padraig Casey; Gabriel Murtagh (1-0), Stephen Quigley (1-3), Eric O'Hara (0-2); Ryan Moran, Thomas Moran, Robert Hanley (0-6, 4f)
Substitues: Eoin Madigan, Declan McGrath (for Gilbert 52 minute, 0-1), John Miller, Brandon Foley, Andrew Wilson.

Kilcullen: Paddy Meaghar; Jack Dooley, Colm O'Brien, Stephen Willis; David McMahon, Kevin O'Brien, Ben Phelan; Dwayne O'Connor, Adam Noone; Joe Carey, Martin Murphy, Thomas Hennessy (0-4); Tim Carey, Tom Dixon, Colm Sheehan.
Substitutes: Niall McCormack, Dylan Kennedy (for Sheehan, 52 minute, 0-3) , Aaron Melinn (for J. Carey, 40 minutes), Wayne Condron (for Noone, 45 minute), Luke Dowling (for McMahon, 50 minute), Shane Lambe (for Murphy, 30 minutes, 0-1).

By Andrew Wilson
Thanks to our secretary Maureen Fitzgerald for the team sheets.