News‎ > ‎

Match Report-SFL Division 4 Round 1

posted 3 Apr 2012, 16:18 by Unknown user   [ updated 3 Apr 2012, 16:23 ]
 Kildangan 2:08 Kilcullen 2:06.  

Kildangan Senior team opened our 2012 league campaign with a well deserved 2 point win against Kilcullen on Monday evening 2nd April.

The honour of scoring the first point of the 2012 season fell to corner forward John Miller. With barely two minutes on the clock, Miller latched on to a clever pass from Midfielder Pauric Casey, splitting the posts with the resultant effort. Further points in the first quarter by Shane Stafford(2), Richard Morgan and Stephen Quigley(2) and goals by Richard Morgan and Shane Stafford left Kildangan in the driving seat at half time, with a tally of 2:05 to Kilcullen's 0:02 points.

If Kilcullen were to get anything from the match they would have to up their work rate, and this they did from the start of the second half. Slowly, but surely Kilcullen patiently picked off points while at the same time keeping the Kildangan score to the minimum with trenchant defending. Twice in the third quarter Kilcullen had goal chances, only superb saves by Kildangan net keeper Sean Pollard denying them. During this period of Kilcullen ascendancy, Kildangan registered a trio of points, two from the boot of Shane Stafford and a great individual effort from Pauric Casey, leaving the score at 2:08 to Kilcullen's 0:06 points.

Kilcullen were still threatening in front of goal, direct running from midfield causing problems for the Kildangan defence. With daylight waning Kilcullen got the lifeline they were seeking when an unstoppable shot on goal reduced the lead to five points. An almost identical move minutes later again split the Kildangan defence, the end result another goal to Kilcullen.

The tension was palpable among the Kildangan supporters as Kilcullen again went on the rampage, however  Kildangan were not going to go down without a fight and they defended with vigour, blocking and harrying the Kilcullen attackers at every opportunity. The final whistle sounded to cheers from the Kildangan supporters for a well deserved win.

Despite showing signs of ring rustiness, Kildangan deserved the victory, especially for their first half display. Sean Pollard in goal gave a man of the match performance and saved Kildangan on a number of occasions.

The real victory for Kildangan took place in the dressing room before the game began! Three players who have come through the juvenile ranks in Kildangan were togged out to play senior football for the first time.  Philip Ryan had an outstanding game at wing back while Brandon Foley also gave an excellent performance at wing forward and was unlucky not to get on the score sheet.  James Stynes did not get an opportunity to take the field, his day is coming very soon. 

These are the first players to have come through from the juvenile teams in Kildangan, the first of many more to come. A proud and memorable day for the club.