News‎ > ‎

Kildangan V Round Towers Match Report.

posted 7 May 2015, 14:14 by rúnaí Cill Daingin

Kildangan gave a battling performance in Round four of the senor league Tuesday evening, however came up just short against table toppers Round Towers. As always, games with near neighbours Towers tend to be competitive and this game was no different.


Towers opened their account and were two to the good before Kildangan got on the scoreboard thanks to a Gabriel Murtagh point. The next score, and in possibly the move of the game Robert Hanley gave an inch perfect pass to Stephen Quigley who put the ball past the Towers keeper to put Kildangan two points up.


Towers came right back, goaling at the next opportunity. A Colin Christie point levelled matters with 15 minutes gone. Good defence from Kildangan saw the ball out for a '45 which Towers pointed to go one up.


The younger Kildangan players were not found wanting; Robert Hanley levelling the game with a well taken free and then putting Kildangan one ahead with a second effort.


Towers then enjoyed something of  a purple patch, following a harsh Kildangan dismissal. First, Towers struck for a goal. Two points quickly followed and in the final move of the first half Towers struck for a third goal, leaving the score at half time 4:04 to 1:04 in favour of the visitors.


Kildangan retired to the dressing room to consider their options for the second period. They were unlucky to be six down after a spirited first half performance.


Kildangan started the second half in determined fashion. The opening score fell to Eric O'Hara, a well taken point, the result of a sublime Stephen Quigley pass. Full forward Colin Christie added a second from a difficult angle. Towers clawed one back to keep a five point advantage, however Stephen Quigley cancelled it in the next move.


Robert Hanley pointed from a free, again cancelled by a Towers effort. It was nip and tuck, with no quarter given or asked by either team.

With ten minutes remaining Stephen Quigley added a point as Kildangan were coming more to the fore. Both teams upped the pace. The game seemed to be swinging Kildangan's way with Colin Christie and Robert Hanley added points to leave the minimum between the sides. However that was as good as it got for Kildangan, as Towers worked a brace of points to close out the game on a scoreline of 3:08 to Kildangan's 1:11.


It was a spirited performance from Kildangan, who never gave up despite the numerical disadvantage. Overall Kildangan can be reasonably happy with their display as they never stopped trying. With the return to full fitness of a couple of players the remaining rounds should earn some valuable league points. The Kildangan defence coped reasonably well with the Towers attack, keeping them at bay for most of the game. The two goals, against the run of play were the difference between the sides.