News‎ > ‎

Féile Match Reports

posted 11 Mar 2013, 16:19 by Unknown user

Following the group stages of the Féile B competition, Cúchulainn Gaels are through to a quarter or semi-final slot. The final placing will be determined following a draw. Below are the match reports.

Cúchulainn Gaels  v  Castledermot  Under 14 Feile ‘B’      24th February 2013     at Kildangan 

Cúchulainn Gaels opened their Feile competition in Kildangan on Sunday morning with a home tie against fellow ‘South siders’ Castledermot.

Having missed a number of early chances the Gaels finally got off the mark with an Oran Donnelly point. Castledermot soon replied with two quick goals to go five ahead but two Eoin O’Loughlin frees kept the Gaels in touch. Fearghal O’Mahoney and James Sutton were outstanding in the Gaels defence as Castledermot piled on the pressure. The Gaels then got a boost when Devan Guing got on the end of a long ball from Kevin Martin and managed to fist the ball to the net to put the home side back in front.

The visitors then hit form scoring three unanswered points before Stephen Keogh finished the half with a late equaliser for the home side to leave it 2:03 each at the break.

With the home team outscoring their opponents by three to one in the opening minutes of the second half they were dealt a sucker punch when the Castledermot full forward finished to the net following a great save from Daniel Cawley in the Gaels goal.  Ten minutes of end to end stalemate ended when Robert McGrath fired over the equaliser for the home team and then set up Eoin O’Loughlin for the lead point.

For the remaining ten minutes there was only one team in it as Stephen Keogh and Callum Sourke both goaled to leave it 4:09 to 3:04 to the home team as the final whistle sounded.


Cúchulainn Gaels  v  Sallins Under 14 Feile ‘B’      3rd March 2013     at Sallins

 Cúchulainn Gaels travelled to Sallins on Sunday morning 3rd March to take on the home side in round 2 of the Feile.  With Sallins having lost heavily to Naas in the opening round, they took to the field determined to get a result to stay in the competition

They certainly got the start they needed outscoring the Gaels by 1:03 to 0:01 in the opening quarter.  Stout defending by Callum Sourke and James Manning prevented further scores but Sallins still managed two more points to go seven points ahead as we headed towards the break.  The home team’s strength down the middle was proving too much for the visitors as the spine of the Sallins team would not have looked out of place in the Minor game that followed.  Eoin O’Loughlin and Kevin Martin managed points but the home side had the final say with another point to leave it 1:06 to 0:04 at half time.

The second half was an altogether different story as the Gaels tore into their opponents scoring five points with the home team managing a single score as the margin was reduced to one. Wonderful play from Harry Arkwright, Ferghal O’Mahoney and Noel Lawlor drove the team on and the Gaels were unlucky when Michael John Prendergast came within inches of goaling for the Gaels.

With the Gaels tiring from their efforts the home side seized their chance and scored three points on the trot to regain control.  The Gaels went at it again and a Harry Arkwright shot came back off the crossbar and Robert McGrath was unlucky not to finish to the net as the rebound landed awkwardly between his feet.

We entered injury time four behind but the Gaels showed their grit and determination once last time. An Eoin O’Loughlin point left just a goal in it and when Stephen Keogh came storming through the middle moments later we held our breath.  He took a perfect pass and blasted the ball to the net to level the game with an unstoppable shot.  Another nail biting minute followed but the referee blew the final whistle to end a fantastic game of football where both teams could be described as winners. The final score was 1:10 apiece and the Gaels remained unbeaten.

Cúchulainn Gaels  v  Naas Under 14 Feile ‘B’      10th March 2013     at Ellistown

The final game of the Group stage pitted table toppers Naas against Cúchulainn Gaels in a sticky Ellistown on Sunday morning.  With Naas having scored a total of fourteen goals in their previous two games the home side faced an uphill battle. 

The home team were guilty of poor shooting and missed numerous early opportunities. They were then rocked when the visitors goaled with their first attack to go three points up completely against the run of play.  However, The Gaels soon found their range with three points in the space of five minutes but they were cancelled out by the visitors who went three ahead again.

Ryan Powell, Harry Arkwright and Eoin O’Loughlin all pointed to level the game as Stephen Keogh and Kevin Martin began to dominate the mid field area.  The Gaels were then dealt a severe blow in the final minute of the half as Naas hit 1:01 to go in 2:04 to 0:06 ahead at the break. 

The Gaels then repeated their Sallins performance with a superb second half display.  Not alone did they score 1:06 from play but they held their opponents scoreless for the full thirty minutes.  There were superb performances throughout the field as the Gaels were in complete control despite the best efforts of a gallant Naas side. 

The final score of 1:12 to 2:04 in favour of Cúchulainn Gaels means that we go through to the play offs as Group winners. We await the draw which will put us into either a Quarter or Semi Final depending on the toss of a coin.