News‎ > ‎

Cúchulainn Gaels V Caragh Match Report

posted 29 Apr 2012, 11:25 by Unknown user   [ updated 30 Apr 2012, 13:35 ]

Under 16 League Division 4 Semi Final, Cúchulainn Gaels 3:11 Caragh 1:15 (aet)

A very entertaining semi final was finally claimed by Cúchulainn Gaels on Monday night last in Ellistown. The game went to extra time after the visitors scored an injury time equaliser. It was Caragh who made all the early running and were 1-6 to 0-3 up at the break. Full forward Jim Barrett and Shane Dempsey in midfield were chief tormentors as they ran an at the Gaels defence with menace while Wesley Heavey also rattled the net. And when Gaels did attack, Caragh ’keeper Simon Ennis  repelled the home team admirably, while the post and the bar also came to his aid with efforts from Jason McDonagh and Jack Behan.

The second half began as the first as Caragh tagged on two more points and things looked bleak for Cúchulainn Gaels. Then the swing!
Dean Frehill, on as a half time substitute, took hold of a pass and drilled home a goal. Two minutes later Conor O’Loughlin carried the ball forward from midfield and hit from distance to score a great goal. Conor Hyland tagged on a point while Frehill also chipped in with a goal.
Caragh hit back with points from Dempsey and Jake Corrigan. A superbly taken goal from a tight angle by O’Loughlin restored superioity for the Gaels before Barrett equalised in injury time. Time to draw breath.

In extra time it was Danny Leahy who performed the heroics with two fine saves in open play. Points from Dermot Hickey and O’Loughlin pushed Gaels three clear, a free from Barrett and a point from Dylan Brereton kept scores at just one between the teams.
The second half of extra time saw The Gaels push further clear as the lead was stretched to three. As the final moments arrived, Caragh hit over a point and were camped in The Gaels half as they  sought out a goal that wouldn’t come. Though not for the lack of effort. Drama all the way and thoroughly enjoyed by all there.