News‎ > ‎

Cúchulainn Gaels Get Out of Gaol Against Athy

posted 16 Sep 2012, 06:18 by Unknown user   [ updated 17 Sep 2012, 10:07 ]
Cuchulainn Gaels U 13 2012    The Under 13  league semi-final between Cúchulainn Gaels and Athy was played in Kildangan on Sunday Morning 16th Sept and what a game it was. The Gaels looked to be in serious bother at half time trailing by 4:05 to 1:02, the Gaels seemed to have no answer to Athy's direct stlye of play. However they rallied marvelously in the second half, running out winners on a scoreline of 6:04 to 5:06. 
Athy, who were the only team to beat the Gaels in the League, opened brightly and rattled the net twice before the five minute mark.  Three quick points followed before Eoin O’Loughlin registered the home sides first score to leave it 2.3 to 0.1 after just ten minutes.  With the Gaels struggling in many key areas a number of positional adjustments seemed to stem the tide of the visitors onslaught and Devan Guing got on the end of a long ball from Robert McGrath to fist to the net. Athy’s reply was swift and deadly as they hit a superb goal followed by two points to stretch their lead further.
Good defensive work by Fergal O’Mahoney started a Gaels move up the wing which culminated in a welcome point from Devan Guing.  The visitors response was again ruthless as they stormed up the field and finished the half with their fourth goal, this one coming from a rebound, after Daniel Cawley had brilliantly saved the initial shot.  With the half time score at 4:05 to 1:02 in favour of Athy, the Gaels had a mountain to climb in the second half.

Well, we might come from the plains of Kildare but, over the next half hour, the Gaels proved to be expert mountain climbers!  Two goals in the first two minutes from Kevin Martin and Eoin O’Loughlin gave the Gaels the start they needed.  Two more soon followed from Ross Fallon and JB Murphy and after just ten minutes of the second half Athy’s twelve point lead had been wiped out.  The Gaels defence then came under severe pressure and despite the best efforts of Pat Martin, James Sutton and Stephen Keogh, Athy manged a goal and a point to go four points ahead.  The Gaels rallied again and got a bit of luck when Callum Sourke’s shot for a point dipped under the bar for a goal to leave just a point between the sides.
The next ten minutes was edge of the seat stuff as both defences won the battle with their opposing forwards.  Noel Lawlor was immense during this period and made some great tackles to prevent Athy from extending their lead.  The Gaels were guilty of some poor shooting and had at least four chances of equalising but could not hit the target.  The post even got in the way of one effort!  As injury time ticked down Eoin O’Loughlin finally equalised from a free following a foul on Joey O’Sullivan.  From the kick out, a scramble including Kevin Martin, Robert McGrath and Callum Sourke ended up with Stephen Keogh getting possession and launching a fantastic long range kick over the bar to put the Gaels in front for the first time in the game.  Another nervous minute passed before the final whistle sounded to end this epic encounter on a scoreline of
Cúchulainn Gaels 6:04 Athy 5:06.

Both teams deserve great credit for providing such an outstanding game of football.  The Gaels now play Round Towers in the final, venue and date TBA