News‎ > ‎

Classy Gaels Show Character to Claim Shield Title

posted 26 Sep 2013, 09:14 by Unknown user   [ updated 26 Sep 2013, 14:26 ]
Classy Cúchulainn Gaels showed great character to run out four point winners in an entertaining shield final at Ballyteague on Friday 13th September. Final Score; Cúchulainn Gaels 3-9, Carbury 1-11
The game started in a flurry as Carbury managed to open the nights scoring inside the opening minute with a free from corner forward Jack Cully. Carbury built on this early lead through Cully as he tagged on a second point in the seventh minute to double his sides advantage.
The game looked to have gotten away on the Gaels as Carbury built up a four point cushion with two further points from Dean Murray.
It took all of 11 minutes for Cúchulainn Gaels to open their account, their opening score coming from a Jamie Reilly free. Aaron Reilly halved the deficit within seconds although a third point from Cully got Carbury back on track.
The first major of the night went the way of the winners when Senan Keane rose higher than the challenging Aaron O'Neill to palm the ball past O'Neill and level matters after 15 minutes.
Cúchulainn Gaels then hit the front through a Jason McDonagh goal-after beating Conor Doyle along the endline, McDonagh managed to round O'Neill at the near post. Two further points form McDonagh had Cúchulainn Gaels edging towards the half-time break with a commanding five point advantage.
Carbury were desperate to reduce this deficit before the half time whistle. Josh Browne and Cully were the ones to do the honours, after Browne pointed Cully rounded the challenge of Michael Howard to drive high into Daniel Cawley's net. However, a final point by McDonagh gave Cúchulainn Gaels a two point halt time lead(2-5 to 1-6)

There was a flurry of points at the start of the second half as the two sides went tit for tat. Eoin O'Loughlin and Jason McDonagh hit the target for the Gaels before David Kelly and the aforementioned Cully responded for Carbury. Three further points from Carbury saw them level before pushing ahead as the game entered the final stages. Two from David Kelly and one from Jack Cully nudged Carbury into a narrow lead.
Cúchulainn Gaels were determined to not to let victory slip from their grasp. Robert Hanley leveled the game for the third time with a point. With four minutes remaining a Stuart Duffy goal had Cúchulainn Gaels in pole position for victory. A final point from McDonagh allowed the Gaels to claim a narrow nail-biting four point victory.

Cúchulainn Gaels; Daniel Cawley, Conor Humpries, Michael Howard, Jordan Kaye, Curtis Merrigan, Stuart Duffy, Stephen Keogh, Daragh Gilbert (1-0), Shane Maughan (0-1, 1f), Ryan Moran (0-1), Cillian Barry, Dean Frehill, Senan Keane (1-0), Jason McDonagh (1-5, 2fs), Robert Hanley (0-1), Subs: Eoin O'Loughlin (0-1) for Keane, 28 mins.

Carbury: Aaron O'Neill, Dylan FOx, Karl McDonnell, Conor Doyle, Ciaran Gallagher, Craig Coyne, Josh Browne (0-1), Alan Kearney, Jamie Reilly, Michael Haslem, Dean Murry (0-2), Ger Cunnigham, Dale Redmond, Aaron Reilly, Jack Cully (1-5, 3f), Subs: David Kelly (0-4) for Haslam 30 mins, Adam Duffy for Reilly 44 Mins.

Tara Byrne, Kildare Nationalist 24th September 2013.