News‎ > ‎

Abbey Rangers Suffer Defeat in Opening Round of Minor Championship

posted 13 Aug 2019, 08:12 by Louise Fitzgerald

Abbey Rangers minors opened their Manguard Plus Minor D Football Championship campaign as they took on local rival’s Fr Prendergast Gaels in Suncroft last night. But it wasn’t to be for our lads as they suffered a disappointing defeat on a score line of 4-10 to 1-6.

As the ball was thrown in the tensions could be felt all around the pitch as neither team wanted to lose, both teams attempting to create chances and defending any attacks created by their opposition but it was Fr Prendergast Gaels who took the chances created and led 2 point to no score, taking one from play and one from a free. Fr Prendergast Gaels put pressure on our kick outs and caused our midfield to struggle at times, losing the breaking ball but the lads battled hard and persevered. Fr Prendergast Gaels led by 3 when Mikey Delahunty received a black card for a pull down, but it was this that spurred Rangers on and they began to find their feet when Conor Corrigan opened our scoring with a fine point and he quickly drew us level as a close range free was put in the back of the net.

Fr Prendergast Gaels put the pressure back on and soon took the lead again when they cut through our defence to score a goal, leaving the score 1-5 to 1-4. Daniel Gilbert scored from a free and left one between the teams as the whistle sounded for half time.   

Fr Prendergast Gaels were keen to continue as they left off and began to dominate from the restart. They managed to cut through the defence and were in on goal but three fine saves from keeper Sean Fitzgerald ensured that we kept in reach. Trailing by 5 points Daniel Gilbert opened our second half scoring with a pointed free after about 12 minutes leaving 4 between the teams and the score 1-9 to 1-5. Sloppy passes and decision making were costing Abbey Rangers as they struggled to move the ball into their opponents half even after some brilliant turn overs, leading to our defence struggling to cope with the quick counter attack. Sean Fitzgerald made a great save and Sean McDonald reacted quickly to save the rebound on the line but no one there to make the final clearance the ball inevitably ended up in the back of our net. Conor Corrigan scored our second point of the half and last of the match through a free, leaving the score 2-10 to 1-6. It was Fr Prendergast Gaels who finished the stronger team ending with two further goals leaving the final score 4-10 to 1-6.

Ultimately it was a disappointing end to a game with promise as the lads only trailed by one at half time but the black card sending off of a key player, decision making and passing did us no favours as the second half progressed. The lads will take plenty to work on from this very competitive game as they begin their preparations for the next round of the championship in which they take on Athgarvan. We wish the team and management the best of luck in the next round and thank you to all the supporters who travelled to the game!


Abbey Rangers: Seán Fitzgerald, Cian O Dowd, Sean McDonald, Orren Grattan, Russell Grattan, Ciaran Byrne, Eoin Callan, Eoghan O’Fearghail, Daniel Gilbert, Joey O’Sullivan, Mikey Delahunty, Oisin Hyland, Jack Curran, Conor Corrigan, Mark O’ Donavan.

Substitutes: John Kelly (Mikey Delahunty BC), Cathal McKernan (Jack Curran).